I may not be in scrubs all the time, but I never stop being a nurse!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Check list complete!

Room set up- check
Labor bag packed- check
Car seat installed- check

... now what?! I guess that would be to get emotionally ready. But how do you do that? I don't think it's entirely possible.

The one thing that is starting to bug me more and more are the comments I get when asked if I'm going to get an epidural. The answer is no.... actually hell no! I understand I do not get a medal for going through labor without one, I understand and am anticipating the pain I will endure, and I understand that "most" woman get them. But I also understand the side effects of an epidural and potential harmful lasting effects, I understand that evidence based research (aka the best kind) all point to how epidurals increase the rate of complication + slow labor= C-section, and yes, I understand it will hurt. It's freaking labor... what else is it going to feel like! I may not be an L & D nurse, but I did spend a semester studying pregnancy and child birth. I understand how "it all works" and am quite prepared to work with my body in delivering our baby boy. I'm going to do this because it's the best thing for my son and  my family and myself. I appreciate that other mom's have delivered with an epidural and everything went fine, but that's not going to be my story. I'm not some super human because I want a natural child birth, I'm just a woman among millions of women throughout history who have given birth without an epidural.

 There, I feel better now that I've said it!

On another note-- here's some cute photos of baby Jonah's room!

2 comments:

  1. you go girl! Have that baby Au-natural! And his room looks adorable! I am so excited for you and praying for you as his arrival approaches ever nearer. You're gonna do great. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute room!

    And you go, for doing it naturally! :) He is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete