I may not be in scrubs all the time, but I never stop being a nurse!

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Why it's important to update your GPS!


  So, on monday I started my new job... meaning I sat for 9hrs listening to random business talk about the hospital and going over things I already know. It was a pleasant reminder of why I didn’t go to business school! I am excited about the hospital itself-- defiantly well run and is very supportive to it’s staff! 
After all day of being crammed in a small room and trying to stay awake, I started to drive home. Made one corner a little too sharp, blew my tire and proceeded to roll into a restaurant nearby. Great. At least we have roadside assistance, right? Well yes, but it will take 90min till they can get out there! Ok. Go inside the restaurant and see if someone can help. “We have no one on staff who can help you.” Thanks. Hmm. Try to change tire myself. But maybe not with the rather large half dazed hobo sitting out a few feet from your car. Hubby?! Yes! Alan came to my rescue from Waco to Temple! 
About 20min later, the hobo left and I started to try to change it myself. Thanks to the beautiful weather and record pollen count, I sneezed every minute or so. Here’s a mental picture: pregnant woman staring at trunk trying to remember what to do first when changing a tire while sneezing so much that her eyes start tearing up. I looked pretty pitiful. Enough so that a family pulled up and the husband offered to help. Alan arrived a few minutes later valiantly riding his dad’s motorcycle to save his allergy stricken wife! Few more minutes and we were on our way to where to GPS said there was a tire shop (ps I do have to give kuddos to VW for placing an entire spare instead of a doughnut!).
First one was closed. Second one didn’t exist. Third one lead us to lake Belton (about a 25min further south). At that moment we decided it would be a good idea for us to figure out how to update our GPS!
The drive back was actually really beautiful and I kept thinking “If the scenario of how this drive started was any different, it would be very relaxing and lovely.” Lot of small hills covered with bluebonnets and indian paint brushes with the sun slowly setting and my knight in shinning armor riding his bike-- seriously, a hot guy on a motorcycle down a country road is magical! ;)
The next few days filled with more classroom time, husband working on flooring+crown molding, room filling up with bugs due to going in and out of window, Alan sucking the bugs up with a shop vacuum, few crock pot recipes, hillbilly Directtv set up guy messing up the internet, baby growing pains, and some needed cuddle time with my hubby! I’m excited to start working in the ER and see how their dynamics are, but also nervous simply cuz everything is new. Hopefully will get some chill time this weekend and maybe actually move our clothes out of brown paper bags and into closet/dresser! We shall see what new adventures await!

3 comments:

  1. loved this. i really just wanted to jump through the computer and give you a big hug. my favorite part was when you said this: " and my knight in shinning armor riding his bike-- seriously, a hot guy on a motorcycle down a country road is magical! ;)".. i could not stop smiling at this. i pictured your face as you were typing those words. hilarious. love you. love this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time, and hopefully there will never be one, my lovely Rachel, call the local DPS office,let them know you are prego and need help and they will send a trooper to help you ricky ticky. That is part of the gallantry of your friendly neighborhood highway patrol. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brentany-- Thanks and yes I had fun writing that! Love you too!
    Lady Whitten- Thanks bunches for the heads up! I'll definitely give that a go next time!

    ReplyDelete