I may not be in scrubs all the time, but I never stop being a nurse!

Saturday, October 6, 2012

A Comedy of Errors

This so far is my best "I'm a new mom" story so far!

After a wonderful lunch with Alan's parents, I thought I could make a speed trip to the grocery store with Jonah while he was in a pleasant mood. So I raced down the aisles grabbing what I could and skipping what would take too long (the bread aisle was packed!). Half way through, Jonah was getting a lil fussy, so I carried him for most of the trip. It made for some awkward run-ins with people, but since he is too cute, they didn't seem to mind! After grabbing what I could, I made it to the check-out lines where everyone seemed to be taking their time and Jonah was getting more fussy. To keep him calm, I grabbed some water and put it in his bottle-- we all know how much people love a screaming baby! After filling up his bottle, I managed to spill half of the water in his car seat.

So let me recreate this picture: I'm currently trying to bounce a fussy baby on my hip, while placing groceries on the belt and doing my best to dry Jonah's car seat, when I reach for my wallet to find.... I forgot my wallet! At that moment my mom's voice popped into my head with the famous quote "The years go by so fast, but sometimes the days last forever!" I could feel the frustration come on when I thought "This is hilarious! If I was on a tv show, this moment would be the punch line!".

So, with almost a laugh, I told the clerk that I was sorry but I forgot my wallet! She did not seem to think it was as funny as I did. She proceeded to give me the rolling eyes and wonderful glare (which I would expect from someone under 30... not over 50!), followed by a "Well I don't know what we are going to do then". I just said "Well, we can either put this in a cart and I come back to pay or you can put everything up. Either way, I don't have money to pay and I'm not expecting to get anything free today." I was grateful to see the manager come up when he did and offer to do exactly what I had mention, since the clerk looked like she was about to lecture me.

With fussy baby in hand, I proudly walked out of the store with an empty cart and a wet car seat. Jonah wasn't too frilled about having a wet ride home, but he was soon put to sleep when we got home. I'm definitely going to enjoy that memory for a long time! Next time, I'll put my "I'm a new mom" shirt on... course a frantic face probably does the trick too! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Oh girl, Carson is almost 2 and a half... I STILL have days EXACTLY like this. Change the bottle for a sippy cup and it's no different!! I love that quote and it is SO true! The years fly by but the days last forever. Keep on keeping on!!

    ReplyDelete