I may not be in scrubs all the time, but I never stop being a nurse!

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Chickens eat their young!

So I learned nurses aren't the only ones to eat their young today! I was checking on the chickens today and thought I could grab their water and eggs at the same time. Evidently, I'm not coordinated enough and dropped one of the eggs as I was leaving the coop. All 3 chickens jumped on the cracked egg and ate it! A little creepy and cannibal-ish, but maybe they were just really thirsty! (side note: yes I do collect chicken eggs! I'm not a country girl, but I like the chickens!)
Another creepy thing today: maternity photos! I was looking online at ideas and was really disturbed by all the naked or almost naked prego photos! Who's kid is going to want to see that when they get older?! Not my boy! I see the conversation going something like this:
Mom: Oh honey look! This was taken when I was 8 months pregnant with you!
Son: uhhh mom, you're uhhh not really wearing anything *eyes darting to avoid photo but keeps looking back. Jaw open*
Mom: oh silly, I'm completely covered! I looked pretty good back then! Right?
Son: soo... I've got to clean my room or do homework or something!
Mom: But sweety, I haven't shown you the caste of my body that we made! It worked great as a chip and dip bowl!

Again, I'm going to avoid that scenario and go with the classy pics, like "don't open until.." and hands making a heart!

All this creepy talk reminds me of a patient last weekend! As my husband so pleasantly puts it, "it's ok, she sees naked people all the time". And yes, bring a nurse does expose me to much more of people's anatomy than most see. Most of the time, it's really not a big deal and I do my best to make the patient comfortable. However, there is the occasional patient who doesn't feel awkward and personally requests a catheter (aka tube going up into the bladder). Female-no biggie, Male- creepy! So what do we do when those situations arise? Find the biggest male nurse we can and send them in to do it! Most of the time the patient changes their minds and pees in a cup! You learn early on not to get taken advantage of, but to be smart!

On a cuter note: I've got some pics of my amazing room! My husband found or made most if the furniture, installed the hardwood floors and did the crown molding! He worked extra hard to make a wonderful oasis for us! The headboard are actually two 1800's doors. The white table thing will be the changing table along with the window photo frame (I did the burlap!). There are still a few more things to go up, but it looks great so far!
Thanks for reading and have a great night!

1 comment: